Tuesday, February 28, 2012

HGTV, please go away.

HGTV has haunted me since day one of it's existence.  Never before had people thought they could get a master bathroom renovated for $5,000 or a full basement remodeled for $10,000 until HGTV came along.  HGTV inaccurately portrays the renovation process as being something that almost anybody can afford.  I watched a show last night where the couple had a $35,000 budget to completely remodel their full basement (roughly 600 square feet) AND renovate their existing master bathroom which required knocking down a few walls and moving plumbing locations!  Not only that, but they were able to paint the entire 2nd level of the house and add more closet space!  Folks, please don't take these shows seriously.  Before you give your hopes up and plan a kitchen renovation with a $7,500 budget, call a trustworthy contractor and have them give you an accurate representation of the total cost.  Call 3 or 4 contractors and I guarantee you their prices will be astronomically higher than anything you've seen on HGTV.  Plus, weren't you ever told not to believe everything you watch on television anyways?

3 comments:

  1. Dear John,

    I couldn't agree more. I watched those dang Property Brothers the other night before I tucked myself in and they were at it again. Your assessment not only goes with renovations but their portrayal of the overall home purchase process.

    Their theory is that you can buy a home(example)for $100,000 under your budget and that will leave you with $100,000 cash to remodel. Um hello, I'm Earth, have we met? Where are they getting the $100,000 in cash for the renovation? Does it appear out of thin air? Are they suggesting you finance it? It's obviously not coming from a loan because if that were the case they wouldn't have to stay $100,000 under their budget and it would completely contradict the fact that they can't get approved for a higher loan in the first place. Bottom line, people need to finance homes BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE CASH. If they had $100,000 laying around to renovate I doubt they would be dilly dallying with a $150,000 starter home in Dearborn, Michigan. Staying under budget is a great idea but don't mislead the public that it will magically create the ability to renovate your home by two brothers donning highlights and vests with the saved FINANCED money.

    Dag nabbit you got me all jacked up. I'm going to put on some Arcade Fire and sip some warm milk.

    Sleepless in Alexandria,
    Mr. Vegas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your frustration. If I was a betting man, I'd say you're in the real estate industry. You bring up a very good point that few viewers would be able to pick up on. And again, the more I watch these shows the more I question their authenticity. I think HGTV is paying for the renovations and the couples are reaping the benefits from being selected to be on the show. Not only do they get their homes remodeled within a ridiculous budget, somehow Miss Fairy Furniture outfits their entire house with brand new furniture to match their new finishes! I never heard anything about the $15,000 furniture budget!

      But hey, in the end, I guess it's good television!

      Delete
  2. John,

    Well put. I'd actually take it a step further and say that the Property Brothers and/or HGTV are potentially financing their purchases and acting as the bank. Thus allowing them to have the "cash" to do the renovations. They probably just buy the homes all cash and then build in the cost of the improvements then charge interest. Poor bastards. If this were the case they really are geniuses. But again, for the regular John and Jane Q tax payer this is unrealistic. Ok I have to go my old lady is trying to get me to shimmy to Heartbeats by The Knife. Whatever.

    Sleepless,
    Vegas

    ReplyDelete